<$BlogRSDURL$>

The Daily Flute has moved to http://dailyflute.com

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Thoughts on voter apathy

In such a sport mad country as Australia, why isn't the election exciting for most.  It has all the ingredients of sport at its highest level.  An election campaign has highs, lows, drama, uncertainty, a thrilling climax, countless amounts of pointless analysis and statistics, biffo, skill and we get to be the referee.  When the result comes in the emotions are joy or absolute depression, much more so than a decent test match.  Maybe Channel 9 need to market the election a bit more footy style.  "Saturday night's a great night for an election" thundering out to a middle of the road rock track.  Drag out hasbeen pollies and get them to dress up as women (now that's comedy).  Get Eddie to host nightly specials, or perhaps a la Channel 7's olympic coverage, repeat the same "win" again and again and again.  Channel Ten are starting on the right foot with their nightly "who won the day" scores from the journos.  Luckily it's all ALP so far.  How about some chants for the parties.  The Liberals could use:

(sung to the tune of Top of the World)

Such a feelin's comin' over me
There is personal gain in most everything I see
Not a cloud in the sky
And no tears in my eyes
Coz I'm living my Christian right Australian dream

I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on the nation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I've found ever since John's been around
Your vote's put me (and not the poofs, bludgers and muslims) at the top of the world



I thought 7 nearly tried to do that last time around with Roy and HG's coverage.
My criticism of that was the overwhelming influence of Glenn Milne and his "serious" buddies. If they'd let Roy and HG go for it without that influence it might have been worth watching
 
I hope they're back this year. The bludge score, and seeing the Channel 7 blimp fly past Kerry O'Brien were highlights.
 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?